Skip To Main ContentClarity Global

Riding the Wave of Change: Helping BMF Protect the Deep Sea

A paid social strategy that converts leads and saves our planet

1m+

1m+ people reached

130k

130k ad clicks 

6,670

6,670 post shares

26k

26,100+ signatures received during the campaign

1

One government pledge 

With the support of Clarity we were able to significantly raise awareness for the deep sea and secure the signatures needed to trigger a debate in parliament. The petition closed with over 35,000 signatures. A month later, the UK government joined 24 countries from across the globe in calling for a moratorium on deep-sea mining. The success of this campaign, which ran concurrently alongside press media and policy work, shows how compelling visuals, narratives and marketing can be leveraged for conservation gain and turn government policy on its head.

Jo CoumbeDirector of Communications at Blue Marine Foundation

Blue Marine Foundation is a charity committed to rejuvenating the health of the ocean by tackling overfishing, a prominent global environmental issue. The charity aims to achieve a significant milestone by advocating for the effective protection of at least 30% of the world's oceans by 2030, with the remaining 70% being responsibly managed.

Blue Marine reached out to Clarity for support in increasing awareness of a ‘Deep-Sea Mining Petition’ published on the UK Parliamentary Petitions webpage. The petition aimed to encourage the UK government to follow in the footsteps of many other governments around the world who have implemented a ‘precautionary pause’, or have called for a moratorium on deep-sea mining.

The Challenge

The petition launched in April 2023 and, whilst it had some initial success in driving signatures, it became apparent that to reach the target of 10,000 signatures required to receive a government response, we needed to execute a strategic awareness campaign. This would encourage the UK public to take action and sign the petition.

Our Insight

With only six weeks to deliver results, we had to ensure that the campaign reached the target audience at the right time and with the right message. 
Our creative approach to success was cross-referencing Facebook and Instagram data with the petition data, prioritizing budgets in the regions where users showed the strongest intent to sign the petition.

Strategy and Solution

Using Meta’s audience targeting capabilities, we created three core audiences of users who closely matched our target audience (ocean, wildlife, and conservation enthusiasts). Ad copy and imagery tailored to each of these audiences were utilised to ensure high engagement rates and ad engagement.

Using demographic data available on PetitionMap.com we were able to identify which UK locations were most likely to sign the petition. This allowed us to be highly targeted and avoid spending the campaign budget targeting users based on areas that were less likely to sign.

Impact

Clarity was proud to make a real difference for the Blue Marine Foundation including:

  • Increased awareness with over 1,371,00 Facebook and Instagram users exposed to our ads
  • Increased engagement with over 130,000 ad clicks and 6,670 post shares
  • Increased action with over 26,100 signatures received during the campaign duration.
  • Triggered a written response from the UK government and an announcement that they will support a moratorium on granting of exploitation licences for deep sea mining by the International Seabed Authority

If you're eager to learn more about our integrated digital marketing and communications expertise, or have a project that could benefit from Clarity's expertise, reach out to us today!

Featured image credit: National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)